The Hill of Crosses is a site of pilgrimage about 12 km north of the city of Šiauliai, in northern Lithuania. The precise origin of the practice of leaving crosses on the hill is uncertain, but it is believed that the first crosses were placed on the former Jurgaičiai or Domantai hill fort after the 1831 Uprising.]Over the centuries, not only crosses, but giant crucifixes, carvings of Lithuanian patriots, statues of the Virgin Mary and thousands of tiny effigies and rosaries have been brought here by Catholic pilgrims. The exact number of crosses is unknown, but estimates put it at 100,000 in 2006.
The size and variety of crosses is amazing. An hour spent upon the sacred hill will reveal crosses brought by Christian piligrims from all around the world. Rosaries, pictures and photographs of Lithuanian patriots also decorate the larger crosses.